Share This On:
(SNO) – Despite having just four senior international caps to his name, and regardless of his tender age (he turned 20 in January of 2018) Melvin Doxilly has managed to catch the eye of a professional football team in Trinidad and Tobago, where he will be plying his trade for the time being.
A central defender, who hails from Monchy, Gros Islet Secondary School and Northern United All Stars, he made his men’s national debut in 2017, playing all four games and starting three of them at the Windward Islands Men’s Tournament. He had previously represented Saint Lucia at the youth level for several years.
Now, Doxilly is set to join a list of illustrious Saint Lucians who have called Morvant Caledonia United and the Hasely Crawford Stadiunm, home. Doxilly transfers to the United Stallions from the Barbados Soccer Academy in Barbados. He has also previously played for Gros Islet, winning under-18 and under-23 national titles.
Doxilly has also had the opportunity, along with former youth teammate Nyrone Winter, to train with English clubs, specifically Preston North End FC and Tranmere Rovers FC, where fellow youth international Joshua Solomon-Davies is on contract.
Also capable of playing as a right back, defensive or central midfielder, Doxilly’s long-time role model is French star Raphael Varane. If he can emulate the attributes he so admires in Varane – aggressiveness, composure on the ball, can both attack and defend – Doxilly will have a long, successful career.
Caledonia are not exactly at their peak of late, the Caribbean Football Union 2012 champions having finished just sixth in last year’s Trinidad and Tobago Pro League campaign. They will be hoping that adding the young Saint Lucian can help spark a renewal of fortunes.
- Dominicans vote amid fears of violence December 6, 2019 9:50 AM
- Three officers injured in Salisbury operation in Dominica says police chief December 5, 2019 6:59 PM
- Dominican chastises regional leaders including PM Chastanet December 5, 2019 3:41 PM
- Traffic Delays along Castries/Gros Islet Highway December 5, 2019 1:45 PM
- Government moves to protect the pensions of Millennium Heights Employees December 5, 2019 8:52 AM
- Catholic church in Dominica condemns ‘disrespectful’ behavior towards senior clergymen December 5, 2019 6:37 AM
- Uncertainty as civil unrest continues in Dominica December 4, 2019 9:56 AM
- Police fire live ammunition, tear gas in Dominica protest (See video) December 3, 2019 4:16 PM
- Saint Lucian sculptor Jallim Eudovic to receive major Caribbean Award December 3, 2019 2:16 PM