Share This On:
World Mental Health Day, on October 10, is a day for us to unite in our efforts to raise awareness and mobilize people around the world about mental health.
The theme selected for this year’s observance is suicide prevention and the role that everyone can play to prevent it.
Around 800,000 people die due to suicide each year worldwide, and many more attempt suicide. In the region of the Americas, almost 100,000 people die by suicide each year. Every suicide is a tragedy that affects a family, a community or a whole country; and it has long-term consequences in all those who are close to the victim. Suicide occurs in every age group, and it is the second leading cause of death in young people aged 15-29 years.
This World Mental Health Day continues the campaign initiated on Sep. 10, on World Suicide Prevention Day, to raise awareness about the impact of suicide in the world and the role that each of us can play to prevent it.
WHO encourages everyone to get involved by taking “40 seconds of action” in order to:
— improve awareness of the significance of suicide as a global public health problem; improve knowledge of what can be done to prevent suicide; reduce the stigma associated with suicide; and let people who are struggling know that they are not alone.
- Three nabbed in connection with Dennery armed robbery October 19, 2019 10:13 PM
- Slain Jamaican guard was planning to bring ‘partner’, relatives to Saint Lucia: sources October 19, 2019 8:16 PM
- Gros Islet man chopped in the neck in stable condition: official October 19, 2019 12:02 PM
- Man shot in Jetrine, Saltibus October 19, 2019 11:45 AM
- Saint Lucians seek Cricket West Indies Level 1 Coaches certification October 19, 2019 9:34 AM
- UPDATE: Jamaican security guard gunned down in Balata October 19, 2019 9:16 AM
- UPDATE: Man found stabbed to death in Vieux Fort identified October 19, 2019 8:43 AM
- BREAKING NEWS: Man found dead in Vieux Fort October 19, 2019 8:08 AM
- Saint Lucia’s Johnson Charles to play in United Arab Emirates T10 October 19, 2019 7:50 AM