Deputy Prime Minister and Minister responsible for Infrastructure Honourable Philip J Pierre says he is pleased with the progress and quality of work completed thus far along the Barre D’Isle.
On Tuesday, November 6, 2012, Minister Pierre led a high-level delegation on a fact-finding mission for a first-hand assessment on the ongoing works.
He says Tuesday’s mission is in keeping with government policy of accountability and transparency: “We wanted to come on site to have a first-hand look for ourselves in order for us to first of all inform the public as to what has been happening. I know there has been some anxiety about the pace of the work but there needs to be scientific investigations, and we have ongoing a geotechnical investigation because the designs for the works have to be informed by the results of the geotechnical investigation, but so far the pace of work here along the Barre D’Isle have accelerated recently.”
The major interventions along the Barre D’Isle, which include construction of retaining walls and the realignment of a key section of road, is being undertaken by the Saint Lucian construction firm, FDL Consult Inc.
A total of 10 retaining walls are down for construction – two of which have been completed and four others are well advanced.
The deputy prime minister says the contractors have been advised that the Government of Saint Lucia will accept nothing less than value for money on the ongoing projects.
“We are 85 percent complete on slide two and we have just started slide three, and slide four is about 60 percent complete, so basically by Christmas we will be complete with the works which are presently ongoing. Some of the geotechnical investigations have come back so hopefully by April next year we should be at work on all the remaining slides and hopefully by the next hurricane season we should be fairly safe. I want to thank the GIS for doing this tour with us so that the public can be sensitized as to the real situation regarding the Barre D’Isle landslides.”
The Barre D’Isle was one of the sections of roadway most severely affected by the passage of Hurricane Thomas in 2010, and was virtually impassable in the immediate aftermath of the storm.
Deputy Prime Minister Pierre says while quite a lot of work has already been done there is still a lot more to do.
However, he assures that hovernment is committed to ensuring the completion of the remaining works at the soonest.