Share This On:
(THE SUN) – A mom who stabbed her rapist to death, then tied a rope around his neck and dragged him behind her car for a mile has been jailed for nine years.
Roxanne Eka Peters, 35, slashed Grant Cassar, 51, with a kitchen knife after he threatened to harm her daughter unless she submitted to more sex, a court heard.
She knifed the rapist in the heart at her home in Brisbane, Australia, then towed his corpse past a police station to a ditch, where she hid it in December 2015.
A judge said she was “enraged” at Cassar’s previous rape and sick threats, but that did not excuse her lack of respect for his “human dignity.”
Peters was sentenced to nine years for manslaughter plus another 18 months after she pleaded guilty to interfering with a corpse.
With time already served, she will be eligible for parole in June 2020.
Justice David Boddice said the humiliating rape followed by Cassar’s threats to harm her child had been a “significant provocation.”
He told the Brisbane supreme court: “I accept the stabbing occurred in circumstances when you were enraged by what the deceased had done to you and was threatening to do to you again.”
But she should have immediately sought help after the stabbing, he said.
The judge told her: “Instead you set about the process of callously disposing of the deceased body.”
“No doubt your rage continued to affect your attitude to him.”
Boddice said Peters’ upbringing around drug users, where she was subjected to sexual abuse, had exacerbated the rage she felt when Cassar came to her home on the day he died.
However, Cassar’s killing had been devastating for his family, the judge said, adding: “They will never recover from his death.”
Cassar’s body was found with 61 injuries including stab wounds to the chest and penis.
More International News Stories
- $3 million found hidden inside barrels of pork shoulder, police say December 11, 2019
- 11 Chinese nationals found inside furniture in truck at US-Mexico border December 11, 2019
- Bodybuilder proposes to sex doll after getting it plastic surgery December 11, 2019
- Malaysia vaccinating for polio after first case in 27 years December 11, 2019
- US feds defend creation of fake school to fight visa fraud December 11, 2019
- 27,000 chickens to be culled after bird flu detected on farm in Suffolk December 11, 2019