Share This On:
(TRINIDAD GUARDIAN) — Fifteen days after 78-year-old Zorida Wahid Khan returned to her home in Queens, New York, after vacationing in Trinidad and Tobago, she tested positive for the COVID-19.
Five days after being diagnosed with the virus, Khan, who was originally from Tacarigua, died at a hospital Friday.
Speaking with the Guardian Media, one of Khan’s relatives said she spent three months vacationing in Trinidad and left for her New York home on March 14.
“From the airport in New York she went straight into self-isolation and it was while there she developed flu-like symptoms. It worsened and five days ago she tested positive for COVID-19 and they had her in quarantine at the hospital until her death this morning (Friday). She was vulnerable, as she also suffered from heart issues,” the relative, who did not want to be identified, said.
Khan was the mother of three, had eight grandchildren and one great-grandchild.
The relative described Khan as the “matriarch of our family…the Ali’s from St Micheal Road in Tacarigua…Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji’in,” the relative said.
“She lived a long, wonderful life, making sure everyone around you was good,” she added.
The relative remembered how seriously Khan took her religion.
“She didn’t make joke when it came to her religion. I remember that one Ramadhan I stayed with her and how happy she was that I fasted. But what I thought was amazing is that she was such a free-spirited person,” she said.
“Any believer who dies from this virus is a death of a martyr. May Allah accept her in jannah til firdouse. Ameen.”
- Trinidad: PM Rowley denies inviting Fuad Abu Bakr to join PNM
- Trinidad businesswoman missing
- Trinidad: One in five vehicles uninsured
- Trinidad resumes almost all economic activity
- Trinidad: Young mother killed in crash after “argument”
- Licensing officer deciding vehicles’ tint legality by race — Trinidad minister
- US says Trinidad violated Rio Treaty with visit of Venezuelan VP Delcy Rodriguez
- Trinidad: Cocaine suspect dies by suspected suicide at police station
- Trinidad: Ten people arrested during sea bath in Cocorite