Share This On:
(SNO) – Grenada won athletics, men’s basketball and men’s football to win yet another CBN/WINLOTT Windward Islands School Games (WISG) title, as the Games ended on Sunday in Vieux Fort, Saint Lucia.
The hosts ended joint second with St. Vincent and the Grenadines.
Grenada finished with 33 points, whilst Saint Lucia and St. Vincent and the Grenadines were each on 27. Despite having won two disciplines, Dominica finished fourth and last with 25 points.
Grenada led the standings from the host nation going into the final day of competition in the multi-sport school tournament, run by the respective member governments. Two disciplines were yet to be decided at that juncture, men’s football and women’s volleyball.
On Saturday night, Saint Lucia had beaten Grenada 38-19 to take the netball title, also having ended second in women’s basketball, women’s and men’s volleyball. Dasha Eugene was 12-17, Megan Nestor 26-42 for Saint Lucia in that final netball encounter.
In the football title decider, on Sunday morning, the match was abandoned three minutes into injury time, and awarded to Grenada, who were 2-1 up.
Rickell Charles scored in the 8th, Leon Braveboy in the 57th. Bryant Polius temporarily levelled scores for Saint Lucia in the 47th.
Referee Andrew Philip notably handed down five red cards in the 80th minute, Grenada losing two players and Saint Lucia losing three.
- BTC turns 60 February 26, 2020 12:04 PM
- Second District Court in Vieux Fort relocated February 26, 2020 9:32 AM
- Labour Department summons CCC and National Workers Union to urgent meeting February 25, 2020 2:54 PM
- St Lucia extends travel restrictions on travellers February 25, 2020 1:17 PM
- Guadeloupe, Saint Lucia collaborate on agriculture education February 25, 2020 12:32 PM
- Chinese national coronavirus test negative – Ministry of Health February 25, 2020 10:02 AM
- ICT equipment distributed to six schools under Taiwan-Saint Lucia “ICT in Education” Project February 25, 2020 9:01 AM
- Prime Minister issues stirring call to action in Independence Address 2020 February 25, 2020 8:51 AM
- Coronavirus: World should prepare for pandemic, says WHO February 24, 2020 3:34 PM