Share This On:
(SNO) – Grenada won athletics, men’s basketball and men’s football to win yet another CBN/WINLOTT Windward Islands School Games (WISG) title, as the Games ended on Sunday in Vieux Fort, Saint Lucia.
The hosts ended joint second with St. Vincent and the Grenadines.
Grenada finished with 33 points, whilst Saint Lucia and St. Vincent and the Grenadines were each on 27. Despite having won two disciplines, Dominica finished fourth and last with 25 points.
Grenada led the standings from the host nation going into the final day of competition in the multi-sport school tournament, run by the respective member governments. Two disciplines were yet to be decided at that juncture, men’s football and women’s volleyball.
On Saturday night, Saint Lucia had beaten Grenada 38-19 to take the netball title, also having ended second in women’s basketball, women’s and men’s volleyball. Dasha Eugene was 12-17, Megan Nestor 26-42 for Saint Lucia in that final netball encounter.
In the football title decider, on Sunday morning, the match was abandoned three minutes into injury time, and awarded to Grenada, who were 2-1 up.
Rickell Charles scored in the 8th, Leon Braveboy in the 57th. Bryant Polius temporarily levelled scores for Saint Lucia in the 47th.
Referee Andrew Philip notably handed down five red cards in the 80th minute, Grenada losing two players and Saint Lucia losing three.
- Teenagers arrested for Dennery man’s murder October 23, 2019 12:10 PM
- Saint Lucia’s Meggan William ekes out singles victory for the Golden Eagles October 23, 2019 10:43 AM
- UK: 39 bodies found inside lorry container in Essex October 23, 2019 10:15 AM
- Gunmen raping males only on the loose in Montego Bay, Jamaica October 23, 2019 10:06 AM
- Saint Lucia’s Tarik Xavier led his US college men’s team in cross country October 23, 2019 9:54 AM
- SLP still wants to know: ‘Who is really paying for the horses?’ October 22, 2019 6:06 PM
- Donavan Phillip scores all goals in CCSS 7-1 win over Corinth October 22, 2019 9:49 AM
- Canada election: Justin Trudeau set to remain in power – but with minority government October 22, 2019 9:19 AM
- Saint Lucia’s Antoine Destang breaks 13-year-old swim record in Canada October 22, 2019 8:56 AM