Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE) — Saint Lucians could expect noticeable improvements and a possible re-purposing of the popular William Peter Boulevard in the coming years, as plans are moving afoot for a potential enhanced appearance of the area.
This initiative is being spearheaded by the Ministry of Tourism, through the OECS Regional Tourism Competitiveness Project (ORTCP).
During the last week of March, a consulting team was on site at the Boulevard where they were joined by Mayor of Castries, Mr Peterson Francis.
Mayor Francis expressed his expectations for the Boulevard as a unique space that is free-flowing, pedestrian-friendly and encompasses a pavilion for hosting local talent and entertainment.
He also confirmed that the physical and functional transformation are part of plans by the government to revitalize Castries.
Under this initiative, the Boulevard is not only expected to get a facelift, but also a fresh look that will include pedestrianization, storefront enhancements, beautification, and deliberate interventions to increase economic activity. These improvements are meant to fall into a seamless alignment that is modern, yet convenient for both locals and visitors.
The consulting team, which includes a number of experts, is currently gathering data as part of the first stages of a diagnostic assessment that will inform a coordinated and harmonious approach to the formulation of design options for the new William Peter Boulevard.
As part of the process, the Consultants met with representatives of relevant public and private sector organisations, business operators/owners in the Boulevard including vendors, the Boulevard Taxi Association, and other interest groups.
During the brainstorming session, participants provided their broad views of the ambience of the Boulevard, current challenges and the desired changes and expectations.
The William Peter Boulevard makeover is expected to stimulate revenue growth for local businesses in the area.
- Forbes features St. Lucian CEO of biotech company on its 30 Under 30 2020 list December 11, 2019 11:37 AM
- Police investigate hanging death of prisoner December 10, 2019 11:14 AM
- Julien Alfred wins big at FastTrack Collegiate Opener December 10, 2019 10:44 AM
- Prime Minister assures former Majestic Industries workers that their request will be granted December 9, 2019 3:28 PM
- Cellma training at OKEU December 9, 2019 12:44 PM
- Jade Mountain food gets top French honors December 9, 2019 9:30 AM
- DLP sweeps general election in Dominica December 6, 2019 9:12 PM
- Hallucine leads the ARC fleet into Saint Lucia December 6, 2019 3:56 PM