Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE) — Saint Lucians could expect noticeable improvements and a possible re-purposing of the popular William Peter Boulevard in the coming years, as plans are moving afoot for a potential enhanced appearance of the area.
This initiative is being spearheaded by the Ministry of Tourism, through the OECS Regional Tourism Competitiveness Project (ORTCP).
During the last week of March, a consulting team was on site at the Boulevard where they were joined by Mayor of Castries, Mr Peterson Francis.
Mayor Francis expressed his expectations for the Boulevard as a unique space that is free-flowing, pedestrian-friendly and encompasses a pavilion for hosting local talent and entertainment.
He also confirmed that the physical and functional transformation are part of plans by the government to revitalize Castries.
Under this initiative, the Boulevard is not only expected to get a facelift, but also a fresh look that will include pedestrianization, storefront enhancements, beautification, and deliberate interventions to increase economic activity. These improvements are meant to fall into a seamless alignment that is modern, yet convenient for both locals and visitors.
The consulting team, which includes a number of experts, is currently gathering data as part of the first stages of a diagnostic assessment that will inform a coordinated and harmonious approach to the formulation of design options for the new William Peter Boulevard.
As part of the process, the Consultants met with representatives of relevant public and private sector organisations, business operators/owners in the Boulevard including vendors, the Boulevard Taxi Association, and other interest groups.
During the brainstorming session, participants provided their broad views of the ambience of the Boulevard, current challenges and the desired changes and expectations.
The William Peter Boulevard makeover is expected to stimulate revenue growth for local businesses in the area.
- Fully-funded British Chevening Scholarships available for Saint Lucians October 18, 2019 6:04 AM
- Beausejour community responds to recent criminal activities October 16, 2019 9:25 PM
- Pierre said Chastanet’s 40-month globetrotting hasn’t benefited Saint Lucians October 16, 2019 7:55 PM
- Former Saint Lucia agriculture minister bats for increasing local food production October 16, 2019 6:44 PM
- Gus Logie appointed interim West Indies women’s head coach October 16, 2019 6:04 PM
- Roger Harper eager to lead new era of West Indies selections October 16, 2019 3:41 PM
- Food Express workers to receive wage increase, back pay, allowances: NWU October 16, 2019 3:16 PM
- Bay Gardens Resorts offers unbeatable savings for Creole Heritage Month October 16, 2019 2:51 PM
- NWU hopes to close negotiations with GNT October 16, 2019 2:03 PM