Share This On:
Quoting scriptures, United and Strong (U&S) Communications Officer Bennet Charles has spoken in defense of the lesbian, gay bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community and reiterated a call for Prime Minister Allen Chastanet to state whether the views expressed by External Affairs Minister Sarah Flood-Beaubrun at a recent World Congress of Families (WCF) and Caribbean Center for Family and Human Rights (CARIFAM) meeting recently is that of government as it relates to her stance on decriminalising buggery.
Flood-Beaubrun, at the meeting, had reiterated her previously stated position that government will stick to its decision to refrain from decriminalising buggery and prostitution despite mounting pressure from international countries and organisations.
The U&S group has since taken issue with her statements. Speaking to HTS News4orce Charles accused the minister of promoting hate.
“1st John 3:15 states that everyone who hates his brother is a murderer and, you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him. We share this quote from the Bible because we’re of the view that…CARIFAM is an organisation that promotes anti-LGBT and hate messages toward the community and we’re very concerned …that the minister apparently uses her position as government minister to promote her beliefs as an individual and the beliefs of her NGO in itself,” Charles said.
“…We need to get it very clear from the Government of St. Lucia whether the World Congress of Families (WCF) and CARIFAM have been subcontracted as the moral compass of this country ,” he said.
The communications officer gave the vow that U&S would continue to defend the LGBT community.
“So we want to tell the minister, on your watch, we shall never retire. We shall continue to be the voice of the voiceless. We shall continue to ensure that the hate messages of the World Congress of Family (WCF) and CARIFAM does not penetrate and influence the people of St. Lucia. And we’re asking the honourable Prime Minister Allen Chastanet to make clear the statement on the government’s position on the LGBT community in St. Lucia. Unless this government is siding with the views of the Honourable Minister Sarah Flood-Beaubrun and the views of Honourable Guy Joseph,” he said.
- BREAKING NEWS: Mon Repos businessman succumbs to gunshot wound November 11, 2019 7:35 PM
- Former Saint Lucia top cop Vernon Francois talks about the launch of his digital books November 9, 2019 11:18 PM
- 76-year-old businessman shot in Mon Repos November 9, 2019 9:07 PM
- Gunmen attack, rob bar manager in Jetrine, Saltibus November 9, 2019 6:29 PM
- Entrepot, Sir Ira and Bocage secondary schools to remain closed on Monday November 9, 2019 5:55 PM
- Women who fought with Ciceron Secondary students speak out! November 9, 2019 5:28 PM
- Fond Doux Plantation & Resort wins ‘America’s Most Eco-Friendly Hotel’ award November 9, 2019 1:45 PM
- VIDEO: Schoolgirls, two women fight at Castries fast food outlet November 9, 2019 1:17 PM
- Cow thief arrested by Anse La Raye police November 8, 2019 10:20 PM