Share This On:
(JAMAICA GLEANER) – The Court of Appeal Court has ruled that it will allow the attorneys for Vybz Kartel and his co-convicts to introduce fresh evidence in challenging their 2014 conviction for the 2011 murder of Clive ‘Lizard’ Williams.
The panel of Court of Appeal president Justice Dennis Morrison, Justice Patrick Brooks and Frank Williams, granted the application a short while ago.
Kartel, whose real name is Adidja Palmer, and Shawn Storm, whose given name is Shawn Campbell, and their co-convicts, Kahira Jones and Andre St John are seeking to have their convictions quashed.
Their lawyers had applied for the following evidence to be admitted:
1. An affidavit given by attorney-at-law Kimberli Whittaker.
Whittaker’s affidavit includes the statements of two jurors who served in the entertainers’ 2014 murder trial.
The two statements are part of the evidence in the corruption trial of another juror who allegedly tried to influence the seven-member panel to free Kartel and his co-accused.
2. A handwritten statement by the main prosecution witness and an affidavit of murder convict Shawn Storm.
3. Affidavit by Shawn Storm about his being excluded from a discussions in chambers during the trial about alleged bribe attempt of by a juror.
Prosecutor Jeremy Taylor vigourously opposed the applications.
More Caribbean Stories
- Jamaica: Social media sensation Ivany Wright shot three times November 18, 2019
- Maduro’s military stands in the way of a Bolivia repeat in Venezuela November 18, 2019
- Trinidad man sacrificed life to save pregnant wife November 18, 2019
- Brazil Senate approves technology safeguard agreement with U.S. November 18, 2019
- Missing Trinidad teen found November 18, 2019