Share This On:
Executive Director of the St. Lucia Blind Welfare Association Anthony Avril has revealed news of a robbery on a visually-impaired female who was on her way from church last week.
The victim and her mother was on La Pansee Road, Castries when bandits stripped her of her bag which contained several personal items.
The victim has declined to speak to the media out of fear, as her attackers are still on the loose.
Avril said that it is unfortunate that vulnerable people are being pounced on as they go about their every-day lives.
“She [the victim] has a right to go to church just like anybody else. She has a right to go anywhere in the land and should not be attacked by anyone. This is a very serious situation. We have had a number of persons from time to time who have been subjected to attacks by hoodlums and you ask why this is being done, we do not know. That is terrible, that should never have happened,” he said to MBC Television.
Avril believes that it is every one’s duty to do all in their power to help curb the crime situation in Saint Lucia.
“Every man, woman and child has to see it as their responsibility to do whatever you can to stop this nonsense. If that continues then our nation will perish. We just cannot continue that kind of situation where people cannot walk our streets,” Avril said.
In recent times, La Pansee Road residents have been wary of a group of bandits who are on the prowl at nights looking for victims to rob. While several reports have been made the robberies have continued.
- Ministry of Agriculture promotes green economy January 24, 2020 2:09 PM
- Queens Commonwealth Essay Competition announces winners January 24, 2020 9:52 AM
- Risk of coronavirus in Caribbean ‘low’ says CARPHA January 23, 2020 3:07 PM
- Meeting with US Secretary of State: Saint Lucia and US continue to strengthen ties January 23, 2020 9:00 AM
- Department of Health and Wellness prepares for new strain of coronavirus January 22, 2020 11:38 AM
- St Lucia captures numerous accolades at 27th Annual World Travel Awards January 22, 2020 11:25 AM
- Young Saint Lucian chef featured at restaurant in Taiwan January 22, 2020 8:28 AM
- Saint Lucia benefits from support to National Utilities Regulatory Commission January 21, 2020 3:52 PM
- Internal fault triggers system shut down January 21, 2020 11:23 AM