Share This On:
(SNO) – Revelers who took part in this year’s carnival celebrations in Vieux-Fort had a rollicking time under heightened security.
Skimpy-attired revelers rotated their waist at ultra speed as they gyrated without moderation throughout the two- day event which commenced last Sunday (July 8, 2018).
However, the crowd participation was not as impressive as previous years.
Five bands took part in the Parade of the Bands, displaying various themes.
What was striking in this year’s celebrations was the heavy presence of armed police officers who combed the various troubled areas in Vieux-Fort town, searching a number of persons. Their presence was well appreciated by both revelers and spectators.
Prior to the event, a number of persons in Vieux-Fort had expressed concern for their safety during the event. Some told this reporter that they would not attend because of the chilling crime spree in Vieux-Fort. However, there was no reported incident of violence during the two-day event in Vieux-Fort.
Over the years carnival celebrations in Vieux-For have always been marred with gang violence. Organisers of the event, however expressed satisfaction with its outcome this year.
“I am satisfied with the outcome of the event despite the many challenges we faced…” Andre Jn. Baptiste, vice chairman of the Vieux-Fort Carnival Committee, told this reporter.
Jn. Baptiste, who is also the leader of the band, Two Dayz of Peace, said the police played a big role in ensuring the safety of revelers and spectators.
“The police did a good job. Hats off to the police,” he said.
- Two in custody in connection with Mon Repos businessman’s death November 12, 2019 11:08 AM
- Saint Lucia calls up UK-based goalkeeper Lamar Johnson November 12, 2019 10:46 AM
- Tourism ministry spearheads plan to ease traffic congestion in downtown Castries November 12, 2019 10:04 AM
- BREAKING NEWS: Mon Repos businessman succumbs to gunshot wound November 11, 2019 7:35 PM
- Former Saint Lucia top cop Vernon Francois talks about the launch of his digital books November 9, 2019 11:18 PM
- 76-year-old businessman shot in Mon Repos November 9, 2019 9:07 PM
- Gunmen attack, rob bar manager in Jetrine, Saltibus November 9, 2019 6:29 PM
- Entrepot, Sir Ira and Bocage secondary schools to remain closed on Monday November 9, 2019 5:55 PM
- Women who fought with Ciceron Secondary students speak out! November 9, 2019 5:28 PM