Share This On:
(BARBADOS TODAY) Veteran journalist and Editor Emeritus of the Nation Newspaper Harold Hoyte has passed away.
Hoyte, who has a long and distinguished career in journalism, started his profession as a copy writer at the Barbados Advocate in 1959.
He later moved to Canada where he worked for the Globe and Mail, the Toronto Telegram and editor of the Contrast.
On his return to Barbados, Hoyte along with several other colleagues founded the Nation Newspaper in 1973 where he served as Editor-in-Chief for three decades.
In recognition of his outstanding career, the Government rewarded Hoyte with the Gold Crown of Merit in 2003 and in 2005 he was conferred with an Honorary Doctorate by the University of the West Indies
Recently, on May 2, the building which houses the Nation Publishing Company Limited was renamed the Harold Hoyte and Fred Gollop Media Complex.
More Barbados News Stories
- Barbados: Historic guilty pleas to murder January 17, 2020
- Former Barbados government minister guilty of money laundering January 17, 2020
- Barbados: Two charged with robbing KFC January 16, 2020
- Barbados: Legalise same-sex marriage January 16, 2020
- Barbados gov’t digging for corruption January 16, 2020
- Barbados: Minister used position for greedy gains January 15, 2020
- Barbados: Nude beachgoer admitted to psych hospital January 15, 2020
- Barbados: Medicinal marijuana licensing ‘to begin next month’ January 14, 2020
- Woman dies after JetBlue flight from Barbados; family wants answers January 13, 2020