Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE) — The Office of the Mayor is pleased to inform the general public and members of the business community, in particular vendors operating in the provisions market, of the commencement of the first phase of the Castries Market Redevelopment Project.
Work is scheduled to commence within two weeks.
In preparation for first-phase of construction, the former Fire Service Headquarters Site on Jeremie Street is being made suitably ready as the temporary home for provisions market vendors.
This comes after several consultations with the merchants, who have all welcomed government`s plan to upgrade their place of business.
The stakeholder consultations had focused on the significant components and benefits of the market redevelopment.
As part of the relocation, vendors will receive a stipend to assist them as construction work unfolds.
The Office of the Mayor and the Castries Constituency Council will also work closely with all vendors to prepare them to take full advantage of the new facilities.
The Castries Market Redevelopment Project encompasses a state-of-the-art food court, high-end air conditioned restaurants, a craft market, a box park, a viewing tower, an entertainment area, meat and fish depots, and duty-free shopping boutiques, among other amenities.
- More St. Lucians return home Saturday
- Two males shot and chopped by gang in Soufriere
- United Workers Party marks fourth year in office: “As they talk, we work” (+video)
- No legs? No problem! – Jamaican Andrew Nelson making light work of life’s challenges
- St. Lucian neurosurgeon performs complex brain surgery at OKEU Hospital
- WHO calls on young people to join tobacco-free generation fight
- Choc Housing Development underway
- St. Lucia public officers called on to volunteer as trainers and facilitators
- Saint Lucia commemorates first Inter-American Day Against Terrorism