Share This On:
Castries South East Member of Parliament (MP) Guy Joseph has accused the government of failing to deliver on another important promise it made in its 2011 manifesto dubbed the Blueprint for Growth.
Joseph said the current administration is yet to put mechanisms in place to assist with the establishment of an Office for the Contractor General of Saint Lucia.
The MP recalled that the government promised to introduce legislation to ensure that this office is set up, if the Saint Lucia Labour Party (SLP) was elected into office.
Joseph recalls that the government also accused the UWP of being very lousy in how they went about implementing projects, and stated that several questionable things were done by the previous government.
“I want to ask Saint Lucia today, how many contracts have you heard that were done by the Office of Contractor General in Saint Lucia or is there an Office of the Contractor General and is that office functional?” he questioned.
The former works minister said he was made aware that the government will look to introduce this during the last year in office, to indicate that they have done something. But the MP said by then many contracts would not have already been distributed without proper scrutiny.
Joseph said there is clear evidence that shows that the government is very selective in who they award contracts to and said this should not be tolerated any longer. He said there should be some transparency and accountability when it comes to the distribution of contracts.
The MP has been very critical of the government’s performance especially as it relates to infrastructure.
But Joseph has also been accused of the similar things, when he was minister in the previous administration.
More Politics Stories
- UWP Government deprives 8000 young St Lucians of laptops – SLP February 18, 2020
- Ministers welcome Youth Parliamentarians at Monday’s Cabinet meeting February 18, 2020
- Mary Isaac under fire for statements made on death of former councilman February 11, 2020
- Mayor to Cannabis Movement: “I am on board!” February 10, 2020
- SLP calls for results of gov’t investigations February 6, 2020
- SLP salutes Neville Skeete – An amazing human being February 6, 2020
- Vieux Fort South MP gives WASCO the cold shoulder January 30, 2020