Share This On:
GIS – With over 50 physical site locations in 17 English-speaking Caribbean countries, the University of the West Indies is well represented throughout the region. Now, UWI is set to expand globally.
According to Pro Vice Chancellor and Principal of the UWI Open Campus, Dr. Luz Longsworth, the university plans to take its operations into Latin America and Asia.
“We are about to launch the China UWI Institute for software technology, and also a UWI Institute for Latin American and Caribbean studies in China,” she said. “So we are already conquering China. We also have a relationship that is going to be cemented this year with the State University of New York (SUNY) where we will have a SUNY-UWI Caribbean Institute of Leadership for leadership and sustainable development.”
Dr. Longsworth indicated that there has been a drive by the institution to be recognized globally.
“We are going out there globally ensuring that the UWI name is seen, is heard and that we have our people from the diaspora as well as people interested in research in the Caribbean participating in our programming all across the world,” she said.
The University of the West Indies states that its aim is to help “unlock the potential for economic and cultural growth” in the region, allowing for improved regional autonomy.
More GIS News Stories
- Funding for OECS Regional Health Project December 4, 2019
- Government to improve e-services December 4, 2019
- Legislation governing employment at new hospital discussed December 4, 2019
- CARICOM decision promotes industry in less developed nations December 3, 2019
- Prime Minister tours forensic lab December 3, 2019
- Government project to protect historical assets November 27, 2019
- Improving the school feeding initiative November 27, 2019
- Saint Lucia-Taiwan Tradeshow opens Friday November 27, 2019
- Gender Equality Workshop November 26, 2019