Share This On:
(AP) — A North Dakota woman has been charged with felony child neglect after she was accused of leaving six children with the body of an acquaintance who overdosed.
Amber Barrett of Fargo also is charged with a misdemeanour count of failing to report a death.
Documents filed in Cass County District Court said police were called on November 16 to a home on a report of an unresponsive man.
Officers were let into the home by six minor children, ages unknown, who directed them to the man lying on the living room floor.
Efforts to revive the man were unsuccessful.
Police contacted Barrett, who was at work, and she returned home.
Barrett told an officer that her friend was sweating heavily and slurring his words earlier and she believed he was likely overdosing. Police said, however, that Barrett knew the man was dead before she left for work.
Court records do not list an attorney for Barrett who could speak on her behalf.
More International News Stories
- Over 5,000 new cases of coronavirus confirmed in single day in China February 14, 2020
- Virus infects more than 1,700 health workers in China, 6 die February 14, 2020
- Killer asteroid to miss earth by 3.6 million miles on Saturday February 14, 2020
- UN: Congo’s ebola outbreak slows but still global emergency February 13, 2020
- Fall in new cases raises hope in virus outbreak in China February 13, 2020
- Coronavirus is a bigger threat than terrorism: World Health Organization February 12, 2020
- Pope rejects a proposal to allow married priests in the Amazon February 12, 2020