Share This On:
(CNN) — Residents of a North Carolina beach town have given up on laundry for the week — after the government asked them to.
It’s Day 3 of the five-day voluntary ban on laundry in Surf City. Officials advised residents to hold off on washing clothes until the public works department finishes flushing excess iron from the town’s water lines on October 11.
While high amounts of iron can discolor the water, it’s still safe to drink. But it’s not safe for clothes, and it can damage them when it’s used in laundry.
So while it’s legally safe, it sure looks gross.
Surf City’s public works department didn’t return a call or email from CNN. Here’s hoping families stocked up on clean clothes ahead of the advisory.
More International News Stories
- Heartburn drug Zantac recalled over cancer-causing chemical October 19, 2019
- Woman wears all her clothes at airport to avoid excess baggage fees October 18, 2019
- US: Man, 94, killed wife in failed murder-suicide October 16, 2019
- New York cop kills himself inside his home October 16, 2019
- UK: Video shows students high-fiving after rape drunk woman October 16, 2019
- Newborn girl found buried alive in Indian cemetery October 15, 2019
- Neighbor of Atatiana Jefferson says he’s “devastated” October 15, 2019