Share This On:
(TAIWAN NEWS) — A U.S.-Taiwan delegation is visiting Saint Lucia to promote private sector investment in the first such collaboration between Washington and Taipei.
The U.S. embassy in Bridgetown tweeted a photo on Thursday (Nov. 7) showing Taiwan’s ambassador to Saint Lucia, Douglas Shen, World Bank Executive Director Erik Bethel, Saint Lucia official Nancy Charles, and U.S. State Department official Cory Johnston on a trip to a Saint Lucian factory. Bridgetown is the capital of Barbados, a neighboring country of the Caribbean nation.
The trip marked the first time Taiwanese and U.S. officials have joined together on a mission to explore business opportunities in Saint Lucia.
The move demonstrated Washington’s support for Taiwan as it seeks to bolster ties with allies through a more active approach of providing investment rather than aid, CNA cited sources familiar with the matter as saying.
The Solomon Islands and Kiribati in September switched recognition from Taiwan to China amid Beijing’s campaign to dent the island’s position as a sovereign state.
While Taiwan continues to face pressure from China in the international arena, it has received ever more solid support from the U.S., including the approval of TAIPEI Act by the Senate and more frequent exchanges spanning security, trade, and other areas.
Last month, Taiwan’s Deputy Foreign Minister Hsu Szu-chien met with David Stilwell, assistant secretary of state for East Asian and Pacific Affairs, at the White House.
The two discussed Taiwan’s plans to engage with diplomatic partners and the country’s presidential election in 2020.
- Two in custody in connection with Mon Repos businessman’s death November 12, 2019 11:08 AM
- Saint Lucia calls up UK-based goalkeeper Lamar Johnson November 12, 2019 10:46 AM
- Tourism ministry spearheads plan to ease traffic congestion in downtown Castries November 12, 2019 10:04 AM
- BREAKING NEWS: Mon Repos businessman succumbs to gunshot wound November 11, 2019 7:35 PM
- Former Saint Lucia top cop Vernon Francois talks about the launch of his digital books November 9, 2019 11:18 PM
- 76-year-old businessman shot in Mon Repos November 9, 2019 9:07 PM
- Gunmen attack, rob bar manager in Jetrine, Saltibus November 9, 2019 6:29 PM
- Entrepot, Sir Ira and Bocage secondary schools to remain closed on Monday November 9, 2019 5:55 PM
- Women who fought with Ciceron Secondary students speak out! November 9, 2019 5:28 PM