Share This On:
(SKY NEWS) — A five-year-old girl has survived virtually unscathed after her father jumped in front of a train in New York while holding on to her.
According to the New York Times, the father, Fernando Balbuena-Flores, was struck by a train in the Bronx shortly before 8am in front of a busy platform of commuters.
The 45-year-old was pronounced dead at the scene while his daughter, Ferni Balbuena, suffered cuts and was taken to hospital where she was met by her mother.
Mr Balbuena-Flores lived in an apartment block and his neighbour Leidy Martinez was on the platform and saw the incident.
She told the New York Times: “When the train was approaching, oh my God, he took that girl and he jumped.”
The girl was recorded being pulled from the tracks by two men.
One of them was identified as Jairo Torres.
“She says ‘What happened to my daddy?’ I said ‘Don’t look at your daddy. Come to me. Crawl like a puppy,'” Mr Torres said.
“The only thing she was saying was ‘Papa, my papa,'” another witness said.
The girl survived because she reportedly fell flat in between the tracks and stayed there.
Shams Tarek, Metropolitan Transportation Authority spokesman, said in a statement: “Our thoughts are with the family members as well as with our employees who responded.
“This is a traumatic event for everyone involved.”
Officials said they did not yet know what may have prompted Mr Balbuena-Flores to carry out the act.
More International News Stories
- Heartburn drug Zantac recalled over cancer-causing chemical October 19, 2019
- Woman wears all her clothes at airport to avoid excess baggage fees October 18, 2019
- US: Man, 94, killed wife in failed murder-suicide October 16, 2019
- New York cop kills himself inside his home October 16, 2019
- UK: Video shows students high-fiving after rape drunk woman October 16, 2019
- Newborn girl found buried alive in Indian cemetery October 15, 2019
- Neighbor of Atatiana Jefferson says he’s “devastated” October 15, 2019