Share This On:
(CMC) – The US company, Del Monte Foods has recalled over 60,000 cases of incompletely sterilized canned corn from eight countries in the region.
The countries affected by the recall of Del Monte “Fiesta Corn” are Guyana, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Haiti, Aruba, St Lucia and Suriname.
The other countries are El Salvador, Uruguay and Panama.
The company says the recall is specific to Del Monte “Fiesta Corn” only and not any of its other corn and other products. The company warns that that the product could cause life-threatening illness if consumed.
The US Food and Drug Administration says the recall of 64,242 cases of the “Fiesta Corn” seasoned with red and green peppers was due to under-processing, the company said in the notice.
It said the missed steps from the commercial sterilization process could result in spoilage and possible contamination with life-threatening pathogens, if eaten, Del Monte warned.
There have not been any reports of illness as a result of the products, the company added.
It said a central concern with under-processing canned food is the potential growth of bacteria, including clostridium botulinum, which creates toxins that cause botulism poisoning, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Donavan Phillip scores all goals in CCSS 7-1 win over Corinth October 22, 2019 9:49 AM
- Canada election: Justin Trudeau set to remain in power – but with minority government October 22, 2019 9:19 AM
- Saint Lucia’s Antoine Destang breaks 13-year-old swim record in Canada October 22, 2019 8:56 AM
- PM Chastanet, Pacific Islands explore development of SIDS resilience facility October 21, 2019 11:09 PM
- US hospital ship to offer free medical services in Jamaica October 21, 2019 10:55 PM
- Trinidad: Lawsuit filed against Facebook user who named man a “bandit” October 21, 2019 9:29 PM
- New tourist attraction ‘Glittering Sands’ opens in Anse-la-Raye October 21, 2019 9:20 PM
- Saint Lucia-born student wins regional essay writing competition October 21, 2019 8:10 PM
- Castries man injured in Marisule motorcycle accident October 21, 2019 6:37 PM