Share This On:
PRESS RELEASE – The Saint Lucia Labour Party is disappointed and strongly condemns the sudden suspension of the meeting of the House of Assembly to June 20th, 2017.
The SLP says that it was fully prepared to re commence debate on the Appropriation Bill on Friday 12th May and was surprised at the unilateral decision of the Prime Minister.
Once again the Prime Minister is demonstrating that he is prepared to abandon long held traditions of the Parliament by:
• His failure to nominate one of his members to be Deputy Speaker,
• His refusal to debate a legitimate motion to discuss the controversial CIP programme,
• His attempt to block and cover up the contents of the DSH Agreement even after the Prime Minister himself had publicly disclosed that the contents were authentic,
• and now his unprecedented move to suspend for six weeks, the debate on the Appropriations Bill.
SLP leader Hon Philip J Pierre said that the Opposition was fully prepared to continue debate on Friday 12th May and to inform Saint Lucians on the $220 Million deficit budget that will inevitably lead the country to the IMF, “so willing was the SLP to discuss the Appropriations Bill that it agreed to commence debate the day after delivery of the budget without the usual one day for preparation” says Hon Pierre.
The SLP is concerned that the move by the PM is another attempt to cover up and stifle discussion on the DSH Agreement and its dangerous implications for the people of Saint Lucia.
The SLP calls upon all Saint Lucians to join the National Protest scheduled for 17th May 2017 at 3pm to show their disappointment and disgust with the actions of the UWP government.
- Two in custody in connection with Mon Repos businessman’s death November 12, 2019 11:08 AM
- Saint Lucia calls up UK-based goalkeeper Lamar Johnson November 12, 2019 10:46 AM
- Tourism ministry spearheads plan to ease traffic congestion in downtown Castries November 12, 2019 10:04 AM
- BREAKING NEWS: Mon Repos businessman succumbs to gunshot wound November 11, 2019 7:35 PM
- Former Saint Lucia top cop Vernon Francois talks about the launch of his digital books November 9, 2019 11:18 PM
- 76-year-old businessman shot in Mon Repos November 9, 2019 9:07 PM
- Gunmen attack, rob bar manager in Jetrine, Saltibus November 9, 2019 6:29 PM
- Entrepot, Sir Ira and Bocage secondary schools to remain closed on Monday November 9, 2019 5:55 PM
- Women who fought with Ciceron Secondary students speak out! November 9, 2019 5:28 PM