Share This On:
The authorities are now doing damage assessment following a fire at the Soufriere Hospital on Saturday, Dec. 2 – the second within a month.
Emergency officials received news of the fire at 7:01 p.m. and dispatched units.
While the fire was contained in a reasonable time, the maternity ward was completely destroyed. It is reported that the fire was contained to that unit.
There were no immediate reports of casualties. However, reports are that at least one patient was evacuated.
An official said it is likely that services will be temporarily transferred to the Etangs Health Centre – the same facility that was used after a fire broke out in the records room of the hospital on November 9.
Prime Minister Allen Chastanet and colleague Guy Joseph were reportedly among the officials at the scene of the fire.
- St. Lucian neurosurgeon performs complex brain surgery at OKEU Hospital
- WHO calls on young people to join tobacco-free generation fight
- Choc Housing Development underway
- St. Lucia public officers called on to volunteer as trainers and facilitators
- Saint Lucia commemorates first Inter-American Day Against Terrorism
- Saint Lucia records 19th COVID-19 case
- UWP says Philip J Pierre proves once again he is not fit for leadership
- 92 depart Saint Lucia for employment in Canada’s Farm Worker Programme
- Saint Lucian authorities enforcing strict health protocols in schools