Share This On:
PRESS RELEASE – The Saint Lucia Labour Party is pleased that according to the reports from the Statistics Department, the overall unemployment rate decreased in 2016 particularly in the first three (3) quarters.
Party Leader Hon Philip J Pierre notes that this can be attributed to the policies of the former Labour Government and is testimony to the fact that the economy was beginning to show signs of recovery and the confidence of investors and the private sector was returning.
The Party notes however, that in the last quarter of 2016, when the UWP was in power, unemployment increased. This increase in unemployment is a direct result of the stopping of labour intensive projects by the United Workers Party for petty political reasons. Examples of these projects are:
- Vieux Fort Administrative Complex
- Soufriere Square
- Vieux Fort Water Project
- Old Trafford Field Project in Soufriere
- Failure to commence Choc/Gros Islet Highway
- Failure to commence Choc Bridge
- Airport Terminal
- Choiseul Secondary School
- Flood Mitigation Projects
These projects according to the Leader of the Opposition would have created direct and indirect employment and consequently decrease the unemployment rate.
The SLP remains concerned about the unemployment situation and urges the government to do all in its power to further reduce the rate of unemployment particularly among the youth.
- Castries Constituency Council workers return to work February 27, 2020 9:05 AM
- RSS to present crime scene investigations equipment to St. Lucia police February 27, 2020 8:57 AM
- BTC turns 60 February 26, 2020 12:04 PM
- Second District Court in Vieux Fort relocated February 26, 2020 9:32 AM
- Labour Department summons CCC and National Workers Union to urgent meeting February 25, 2020 2:54 PM
- St Lucia extends travel restrictions on travellers February 25, 2020 1:17 PM
- Guadeloupe, Saint Lucia collaborate on agriculture education February 25, 2020 12:32 PM
- Chinese national coronavirus test negative – Ministry of Health February 25, 2020 10:02 AM
- ICT equipment distributed to six schools under Taiwan-Saint Lucia “ICT in Education” Project February 25, 2020 9:01 AM