Share This On:
(GIS) – The Government of Saint Lucia has secured a grant from the United Kingdom government in the amount of £30 million or EC$115 million.
The reconstruction of the Millennium Highway and the west coast road is being financed through grant funding from the United Kingdom Caribbean Infrastructure Partnership Fund (UK CIF). This disclosure was made by Minister for Infrastructure, Ports, Energy and Labour, Hon. Stephenson King during the 2018/2019 Estimates of Revenue and Expenditure Debate.
Minister King told the nation that government has taken a policy decision to invest those grant funds to improve important national infrastructure which will help to contribute to the economic development of the country. As a result, the Millennium Highway and the west coast roads are earmarked for major reconstruction.
The Millennium Highway, constructed in 1996, has since that time not undergone any significant maintenance. Major sections of the west coast road are also in dire need of upgrades.
According to the Infrastructure Minister, once these roads are fixed, government can now facilitate greater levels of economic activity for the south.
- Prime Minister assures former Majestic Industries workers that their request will be granted December 9, 2019 3:28 PM
- Cellma training at OKEU December 9, 2019 12:44 PM
- Jade Mountain food gets top French honors December 9, 2019 9:30 AM
- DLP sweeps general election in Dominica December 6, 2019 9:12 PM
- Hallucine leads the ARC fleet into Saint Lucia December 6, 2019 3:56 PM
- Hilaire continues to sell out Saint Lucia – UWP December 6, 2019 12:52 PM
- Dominicans vote amid fears of violence December 6, 2019 9:50 AM
- Three officers injured in Salisbury operation in Dominica says police chief December 5, 2019 6:59 PM
- Dominican chastises regional leaders including PM Chastanet December 5, 2019 3:41 PM