(CMC) — The Trinidad and Tobago government Wednesday criticised people spreading “fake news” about the extent of the damage caused by the magnitude 7.3 earthquake that rocked the oil rich twin island republic on Tuesday.
Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel has since expressed support to Trinidad and Tobago, adding that Havana is ‘ready to attend any emergency”.
Communications and National Security Minister Stuart Young said that while “thankfully we have had no reports of deaths and injuries” there were people, including opposition politicians, who had been using the social media network to disseminate fake news on the incident.
“I want to denounce all of those persons…circulating fake news,” Young told reporters at the weekly post cabinet news conference, adding that “this is very irresponsible, that is something that is unacceptable”.
Young warned that the “mischievous” actions of those irresponsible people “could have a very detrimental effect” on the population and urged ‘all citizens of Trinidad and Tobago to act in a responsible manner and not to act in any illegal activity”.
Young said that several government buildings had been closed Wednesday as a result of the quake on Tuesday as engineers and other stakeholders undertake an assessment of the situation. He said the assessment is also being done by private building owners.
“I expect more reports of damages, “he said, adding that he hope the non-loss of lives would remain that way.
On Wednesday, the country was rocked by an earthquake with a magnitude of 5.9 and Young as well as the seismic Research Centre (SRC) of the St Augustine campus of the University of the West Indies (UWI) warn