Share This On:
(BBC) – US House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi has named the lawmakers who will prosecute the impeachment case against President Donald Trump.
She appeared at a news conference with the seven “managers”, led by Adam Schiff, chairman of the House intelligence committee.
The House will vote later on Wednesday to send the impeachment charges against Mr Trump to the Senate.
The Senate impeachment trial will be only the third ever of a US president.
While Democrats control the House, Mr Trump’s fellow Republicans control the Senate 53-47, and are all but certain to acquit him.
Mrs Pelosi said on Wednesday morning: “I’m very proud to present the managers who will bring the case, which we have great confidence in, in terms of impeaching the president and his removal.”
Six other managers were named: Jerrold Nadler, head of the House judiciary committee, Hakeem Jeffries of New York, Zoe Lofgren of California, Jason Crow of Colorado, Val Demings of Florida and Sylvia Garcia of Texas.
During the trial, Mr Trump will be defended by White House lawyers, including Pat Cipollone and Jay Sekulow.
Mr Trump was impeached by the House on 18 December, on accusations of abuse of power and obstruction of congress.
He denies trying to pressure Ukraine to open an investigation into his would-be Democratic White House challenger Joe Biden.
Mr Trump has been touting unsubstantiated corruption claims about Mr Biden and his son, Hunter, who accepted a lucrative board position with a Ukrainian energy firm while his father handled American-Ukraine relations as US vice-president.
Mr Biden is one of a dozen candidates campaigning for the Democratic Party’s White House nomination.
The Senate trial might still be under way in early February when Iowa and New Hampshire hold the first contests to pick the eventual Democratic presidential candidate.
More International News Stories
- Trump administration steps up scrutiny of pregnant visa applicants January 27, 2020
- Brazil: 30 dead, 3,500 displaced January 27, 2020
- Finally, a way to accurately count Carib nationals in US January 27, 2020
- Prostate overtakes breast as ‘most common cancer’ January 27, 2020
- Calls for ‘virginity repair’ surgery to be banned January 27, 2020
- China using HIV drugs to treat deadly coronavirus January 27, 2020
- Husband of Christina Mauser, victim in Kobe Bryant crash, speaks out January 27, 2020
- UK introduces new fast-track visa to attract scientists January 27, 2020
- Bryant’s helicopter flew in fog that grounded other choppers January 27, 2020