Share This On:
(USA TODAY) – A tropical depression strengthened into Tropical Storm Beryl on Thursday afternoon, the National Hurricane Center said.
As of 2:30 p.m. ET Thursday, Beryl had winds of 40 mph and was moving to the west at 16 mph.
It was located about 1,330 miles east-southeast of the Lesser Antilles, a chain of islands in the eastern Caribbean Sea.
The storm should fall apart by the time it reaches the Lesser Antilles. That’s due to strong wind shear, dry air and dust, which should all combine to weaken the system, AccuWeather said.
“Upper-level winds will become hostile well before the system approaches the Lesser Antilles this weekend,” according to Weather Channel meteorologist Jonathan Erdman. “These shearing winds should rip the system apart. Dry air is also plentiful near the system and will likely play some weakening role.”
Still, the remnants of the storm should bring locally heavy rains and gusty winds to portions of the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico on Sunday and Monday, the hurricane center said.
A separate storm could develop off the U.S. East Coast over the next few days, but isn’t likely to directly impact land.
Following Tropical Storm Alberto, which developed during Memorial Day weekend, there were no tropical storms over the Atlantic basin during June for the first time since 2014, AccuWeather reported.
- BTC turns 60 February 26, 2020 12:04 PM
- Second District Court in Vieux Fort relocated February 26, 2020 9:32 AM
- Labour Department summons CCC and National Workers Union to urgent meeting February 25, 2020 2:54 PM
- St Lucia extends travel restrictions on travellers February 25, 2020 1:17 PM
- Guadeloupe, Saint Lucia collaborate on agriculture education February 25, 2020 12:32 PM
- Chinese national coronavirus test negative – Ministry of Health February 25, 2020 10:02 AM
- ICT equipment distributed to six schools under Taiwan-Saint Lucia “ICT in Education” Project February 25, 2020 9:01 AM
- Prime Minister issues stirring call to action in Independence Address 2020 February 25, 2020 8:51 AM
- Coronavirus: World should prepare for pandemic, says WHO February 24, 2020 3:34 PM