Share This On:
(USA TODAY) – A tropical depression strengthened into Tropical Storm Beryl on Thursday afternoon, the National Hurricane Center said.
As of 2:30 p.m. ET Thursday, Beryl had winds of 40 mph and was moving to the west at 16 mph.
It was located about 1,330 miles east-southeast of the Lesser Antilles, a chain of islands in the eastern Caribbean Sea.
The storm should fall apart by the time it reaches the Lesser Antilles. That’s due to strong wind shear, dry air and dust, which should all combine to weaken the system, AccuWeather said.
“Upper-level winds will become hostile well before the system approaches the Lesser Antilles this weekend,” according to Weather Channel meteorologist Jonathan Erdman. “These shearing winds should rip the system apart. Dry air is also plentiful near the system and will likely play some weakening role.”
Still, the remnants of the storm should bring locally heavy rains and gusty winds to portions of the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico on Sunday and Monday, the hurricane center said.
A separate storm could develop off the U.S. East Coast over the next few days, but isn’t likely to directly impact land.
Following Tropical Storm Alberto, which developed during Memorial Day weekend, there were no tropical storms over the Atlantic basin during June for the first time since 2014, AccuWeather reported.
- Saint Lucia’s Meggan William ekes out singles victory for the Golden Eagles October 23, 2019 10:43 AM
- UK: 39 bodies found inside lorry container in Essex October 23, 2019 10:15 AM
- Gunmen raping males only on the loose in Montego Bay, Jamaica October 23, 2019 10:06 AM
- Saint Lucia’s Tarik Xavier led his US college men’s team in cross country October 23, 2019 9:54 AM
- SLP still wants to know: ‘Who is really paying for the horses?’ October 22, 2019 6:06 PM
- Donavan Phillip scores all goals in CCSS 7-1 win over Corinth October 22, 2019 9:49 AM
- Canada election: Justin Trudeau set to remain in power – but with minority government October 22, 2019 9:19 AM
- Saint Lucia’s Antoine Destang breaks 13-year-old swim record in Canada October 22, 2019 8:56 AM
- PM Chastanet, Pacific Islands explore development of SIDS resilience facility October 21, 2019 11:09 PM