Share This On:
PRESS RELEASE – On Sunday 8th January 2017, a shower of gun fire claimed the lives of 37 year old Gillan Charles, 16 year old Dequan Joseph and Kyle Richard all of Bois Den, Jacmel.
The three were avid footballers and members of T Valley Football Club. Nearly 3 months after their unfortunate demise the community came together for a one a kinda soccerama fundraiser for the families of the deceased.
Parliamentary representative for the area Dominic Fedee says “In crisis there’s always an opportunity, often time when we look for inspiration we can find it from crisis, it brings the best out of us if we can just find the courage to overcome the initial burden that it places on us.”
The recently refurbished Jacmel Playing Field which was completed with the help of the MP for the area and the residents has been the glue which bonds the community with rivalries being settled by shooting goals. 5 Teams participated in the 10 a side fundraiser. In the end, KM United emerged victorious with the most goals scored by Narrayan Wellington.
“Bloody Sunday” January 8th 2017, will forever be etched into the psyche of community footballers owing to the causes and effects of poor conflict resolution skills and community cohesion through sport.
- Saint Lucia gov’t launches programme to boost local production of 7 key fruits, vegetables November 17, 2019 9:50 PM
- Fuel prices change November 17, 2019 7:00 PM
- Kindergarten registration takes on a new approach November 17, 2019 12:51 PM
- Two in custody in connection with Mon Repos businessman’s death November 12, 2019 11:08 AM
- Saint Lucia calls up UK-based goalkeeper Lamar Johnson November 12, 2019 10:46 AM
- Tourism ministry spearheads plan to ease traffic congestion in downtown Castries November 12, 2019 10:04 AM
- BREAKING NEWS: Mon Repos businessman succumbs to gunshot wound November 11, 2019 7:35 PM
- Former Saint Lucia top cop Vernon Francois talks about the launch of his digital books November 9, 2019 11:18 PM
- 76-year-old businessman shot in Mon Repos November 9, 2019 9:07 PM