Share This On:
(NEWSDAY) — The remaining two escapees who were among eight who escaped from prison two weeks ago were recaptured today (May 25) in South Orpouche.
According to police, Olatungi Denbow and Michael Findley were held at Ralph Narine Trace, South Oropouche by the Special Operations Response Team. The arrest of the men went off without incident, police said and comes two days after a man was arrested and released in connection with their escape.
The man was held at One Woodbrook Place on Thursday, questioned and released.
Denbow and Findley are charged along with three other men for the murders of construction workers Andre La Touche and Abiola Noel on February 22, 2016, at Eastern Quarry, Laventille.
On May 15, eight prisoners took advantage of the poorly lit cells and perimeter to escape from the upper south wing of the Golden Grove Prison, Arouca. All eight are practising Muslims and during Ramadan, special provisions are made for Muslim inmates. One of the special arrangements is to group them together so when they are awakened around 5 am to prepare for prayers they will not disturb other inmates.
Five were recaptured the day they escaped while the sixth was held the following day. Those accused of escaping custody are: Stefon Austin of Erin; Joshua Janet of Brasso Seco, Paria; Mikhale Mohammed of Wallerfield, Arima; Brent Johnson of Five Rivers, Arouca; Atiba Sealy of Five Rivers, Arouca and Kerry Valentino of Quash Trace, Sangre Grande. All six appeared in court earlier this week and pleaded not guilty.
More Trinidad and Tobago News Stories
- Trinidad: Religious leader in custody over gang activities December 10, 2019
- Trinidad: H1N1 deaths rise to 32 December 10, 2019
- Trinidad: Couple to ‘explain their wealth’ under new law December 10, 2019
- Trinidad: Man killed trying to save sister from licks December 9, 2019
- Trinidad ‘church lady’ goes to prison: Charged with armed robbery December 6, 2019
- Trinidad school terror: Pupils scream as gunfire erupts December 5, 2019
- Trinidad: Cop gets $.2m for falling off chair December 5, 2019
- Trinidad: Flu death toll reaches 24 December 3, 2019
- Trinidad: Woman with speech impediment denied right to vote December 3, 2019