Share This On:
(TRINIDAD EXPRESS) – A CHAGUANAS woman defending her husband and home chopped an intruder who broke into the house on Wednesday.
As her 59-year-old husband fought the cutlass-carrying criminal, the woman grabbed a chopper and fought back.
She chopped the intruder on the right forearm. The wound was so severe that he ran out of the house leaving a trail of blood.
Hours later, police arrested a suspect – a man who went to a Chaguanas hospital seeking emergency attention for the wound.
The suspect, a senior police officer said, was terrorising home owners in Edinburgh 500, Endeavour and Lange Park where there have been a series of a break-ins and robberies in the last two months.
In some of the instances the homeowners raised alarms and the intruder ran off without taking anything.
Around 2.30 a.m. Wednesday, a couple of Rodney Road Extension awoke when they heard noises in their home.
The couple’s two children were asleep in their bedrooms.
The husband checked the rooms and found several louvers removed from a window in the kitchen.
Police said the victim confronted the intruder, who then attacked him with a cutlass.
The victim and the criminal began to struggle, which woke the victim’s wife.
Police said the woman took the chopper and dealt with the problem.
The thief retreated through a window, and ran through the bushes.
Police were contacted and officers of the Chaguanas CID and Central Division Task Force, led by ASP Richard Smith responded.
Officer followed a blood trail that ended where the suspect may have entered a vehicle.
Investigators searching for the intruder enquired at the surrounding health centres for the suspect.
He was found at the Chaguanas District Health Centre.
He was transferred to the Mount Hope hospital and warded under police guard.
The husband sustained minor cuts and was taken for treatment.
The wife was unscathed, police said.
Involved in the investigation are ASP Smith, Corporal Philips, and Constables Bajan and Backan.
More Trinidad and Tobago News Stories
- Trinidad: Woman dragged as costume gets caught in truck February 26, 2020
- Trinidad: Cleared of coronavirus but student to stay quarantined February 26, 2020
- Trinidad-born Nicki Minaj parties at ‘first Carnival’ February 26, 2020
- Trinidad: Trincity woman beaten to death with 2X4 wood February 25, 2020
- Trinidad: Senior cops charged with child trafficking, supporting gang February 25, 2020
- Trinidad: Judge warns of $3M fine for weed in schools February 24, 2020
- Trinidad: Woman dies in crash after all-night prayer vigil February 24, 2020
- Soured relationship seen behind murder of Trinidad accountant February 24, 2020