Share This On:
PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, Feb 6, CMC – Police have detained six people after rescuing 19 Spanish speaking girls from a business place on the outskirts of the capital, early Wednesday morning.
Police Commissioner Gary Griffith led the operation that included members of the Special Operations Response Team, the Financial Intelligence Branch, and the Counter Trafficking Unit.
The girls, aged between 15 and 19 years, have since been taken for medical examination, and are being housed in a police facility, west of here.
The six people detained could face charges of human trafficking and harbouring the girls.
Griffith told the media that the operation was a major breakthrough in the trafficking of women from Venezuela, and possibly even the trafficking of drugs.
More Trinidad and Tobago News Stories
- Trinidad: Investigation continues into church fashion show scandal November 22, 2019
- Trinidad: Marijuana decriminalisation bill for Parliament today November 22, 2019
- Trinidad: Clean slate for previous marijuana convictions, charges November 22, 2019
- Trinidad motorists discover murdered man November 22, 2019
- Trinidad: Matelot’s beloved community activist murdered November 22, 2019
- Mother, son shot dead in Trinidad November 22, 2019
- Death at a wake in Trinidad November 22, 2019
- Custom plates for Trinidad & Tobago in January November 22, 2019