Share This On:
(TRINIDAD EXPRESS) – A WOMAN who stole $67,000 from her 85-year-old grandmother is expected to be sentenced for the crimes next week.
It took Siparia Magistrate Margaret Alert almost an hour yesterday to read the 31 charges against Rhonda Mitchell, 28, of Siparia.
She faced seven offences of money laundering and 24 charges for fraudulent use of an automatic banking machine.
The charges were laid by Fraud Squad Constable Kissoonsingh.
Police prosecutor Sgt Starr Jacob told the court that Mary Mitchell noticed $67,000 missing from her bank account.
She obtained documents from the bank showing transactions which were unknown to her.
A report was made to the police who made enquiries and received video footage from 18 automatic banking machines of Rhonda Mitchell using the bank card.
Mitchell used $28,000 to purchase several items. After she was arrested and shown the footage, she confessed to the crimes.
Alert adjourned the matters to December 4, when Mitchell is expected to be sentenced.
More Caribbean Stories
- Jamaica: Two minor quakes rattle sections of Kingston and St Andrew January 20, 2020
- Jamaica: Empty bank account shocks woman January 20, 2020
- Jamaica: Baby dumped in garbage bin after birth turns pastor January 20, 2020
- Caribbean Airlines warns against sharing outdated travel advisory January 20, 2020
- Trini couple guilty of marriage fraud in US January 20, 2020
- Guyana: Man sets wife on fire, commits suicide January 20, 2020
- Jamaica: Man gets one-year probation for accidental touch January 20, 2020
- Barbados PM says US seeking to divide region January 20, 2020