(TRINIDAD EXPRESS) – A 69-YEAR-OLD man who for the third time breached a protection order brought by his 66-year-old wife was yesterday sentenced to four years in jail.
Grandfather Saron Ramsampath of Williamsville faced magistrate Nalini Singh who told him he could have gone to prison for five years.
At 1.30 p.m on August 14, the victim was at her home when Ramsampath cursed and made threats to beat her and burn down the house.
She made a report to the Princes Town police station and showed officers the protection order. When the police spoke to Ramsampath, he said that he threw away his copy.
Another copy of the protection order, for the period November 3 2015 to November 2 2018, was shown to the magistrate.
Ramsampath’s wife told the court that he had been to the St Ann’s Hospital in the past and spent 14 days. The magistrate said a report from a medical institution stated that Ramsampath was fit to enter a plea before the court.
Ramsampath said that he was drunk at the time. He also told the court he was sorry and “I forget very fast.”
Police prosecutor Sgt Mohammed said threats were made to kill the victim who was “very fearful for her life.” He said Ramsampath breached the protection order multiple times including twice in 2016.
He asked for Ramsampath to be sent to jail.
The magistrate said she considered Ramsampath’s guilty plea, that threats were used instead of physical violence, that he co-operated with the police, was remorseful and said that he was under the influence of alcohol at the time. She also considered Ramsampath’s age.
She however said that it was his third breach and it occurred two weeks after he served a jail term for also breaching the protection order.