Share This On:
(TRINIDAD EXPRESS) — Months of investigations by the Special Operations Response Team (SORT), Fraud Squad and Anti-Corruption Investigation Bureau into a multi million dollar racket at the Licensing Department culminated on Tuesday night with a series of raids on homes around the country.
Police are reporting that they have arrested a special reserve police officer, two former employees of the Licensing Authority, a financial advisor with a major investment company, and two businessmen.
A total of nine are in custody at various police stations.
Police say they are also hunting a gang leader and a third businessman at this time.
The suspects are being investigations for conspiracy to defraud the State, the falsification of public records, and misbehavior in public office.
All are said to have been involved in multiple rackets at the licensing departments, which are located in San Fernando, Caroni, and Port of Spain.
Police Commissioner Gary Griffith has been briefed on the arrests.
The National Security Ministry is hosting at press conference at 10.30a.m today.
A police press conference in being held at 1p.m. today.
More Trinidad and Tobago News Stories
- Trinidad ‘church lady’ goes to prison: Charged with armed robbery December 6, 2019
- Trinidad school terror: Pupils scream as gunfire erupts December 5, 2019
- Trinidad: Cop gets $.2m for falling off chair December 5, 2019
- Trinidad: Flu death toll reaches 24 December 3, 2019
- Trinidad: Woman with speech impediment denied right to vote December 3, 2019
- Trinidad: Man chokes while eating iguana and dumplings November 29, 2019
- Trinidad: Cop ordered to repay beating victim $5,000 in 48 hrs November 29, 2019
- Trinidad: Soldier arrested after sodomising child November 29, 2019
- Trinidad: She stole from her grandma 31 times November 29, 2019