Share This On:
(TRINIDAD GUARDIAN) — Hours after a 29-year-old man surrendered to the police for allegedly kidnapping his landlord and throwing him over a precipice, the 41-year-old landlord succumbed to injuries at the hospital.
Ruben Prout was rescued last week by the police who trekked down a dangerous precipice along the North Coast Road in Maraval.
During the rescue, Prout told the officers that he was kidnapped from his home on November 6, after he had served notice on a tenant to vacate his house in St Joseph. He also told police that he even offered him (the tenant) a parcel of land in Sangre Grande to build his own home.
He disclosed that it was his tenant along with one of his relatives that went and picked him up telling him they were going to lime.
Prout told the officers, that despite the fact that he has poor vision he still went with them. Instead, they tied him up and left him in a house at an undisclosed location.
Prout said he was then later bundled up in a car and after driving for a few minutes the car came to a stop and he was taken out and dealt severe blows about the head and body.
Prout told officers he was then thrown over the cliff and after spending a few days there screaming for help he was eventually found by residents.
Prout was subsequently rescued and taken to the hospital where he was treated for a broken leg, cuts, bruises and dehydration.
Over the weekend Prout underwent surgery to the head as there was said to be swelling in the brain.
However, he succumbed to his injuries on Monday night.
Police may now be moving up the charges to be laid against any suspect in question.
More Trinidad and Tobago News Stories
- $$ note change causes frenzy across T&T December 12, 2019
- Trinidad: With gun to head, Mom prayed for her life December 12, 2019
- Trinidad: Ganja legislation passed, but don’t light up yet December 12, 2019
- Trinidad: Religious leader in custody over gang activities December 10, 2019
- Trinidad: H1N1 deaths rise to 32 December 10, 2019
- Trinidad: Couple to ‘explain their wealth’ under new law December 10, 2019
- Trinidad: Man killed trying to save sister from licks December 9, 2019
- Trinidad ‘church lady’ goes to prison: Charged with armed robbery December 6, 2019
- Trinidad school terror: Pupils scream as gunfire erupts December 5, 2019