Share This On:
(TRINIDAD GUARDIAN) — Relatives of father of two Derick Valentine, who was killed in the presence of his two children on Sunday night, said they believe they will get justice.
Valentine’s toddler, a three-year-old and a four-week-old baby, escaped unhurt when he was shot multiple times when gunmen invaded their home in Diego Martin.
According to a police report, shortly after 9 pm Valentine, 33 of Covigne Road, Diego Martin was at his home with his two children and 21-year-old wife when two gunmen stormed into the house.
The men then opened fire shooting Valentine multiple times about the body before escaping.
Valentine worked with a popular gyro business located at Ariapita Avenue in Woodbrook. He was originally from St Joseph.
Valentine was taken to the St James infirmary where he died while undergoing emergency treatment at about 10 pm.
Speaking with the Guardian Media yesterday at the Forensic Science Centre, Valentine’s relatives described him as an “excellent father” who was very hardworking.
Relatives said they are confused as to why their well-loved relative was killed as they knew him to have no enemies. They also said based on their knowledge he was not involved in any illegal activities and added that they knew “for sure” that since having his first child he became a better person.
The relatives said Valentine’s wife was treated at a hospital for the bullet graze over the eye and was discharged.
In fact, Valentine’s wife was at Forensics but remained seated in a vehicle. She was said to be very distraught and inconsolable.
A motive is yet to be established for the murder.
More Trinidad and Tobago News Stories
- Trinidad ‘church lady’ goes to prison: Charged with armed robbery December 6, 2019
- Trinidad school terror: Pupils scream as gunfire erupts December 5, 2019
- Trinidad: Cop gets $.2m for falling off chair December 5, 2019
- Trinidad: Flu death toll reaches 24 December 3, 2019
- Trinidad: Woman with speech impediment denied right to vote December 3, 2019
- Trinidad: Man chokes while eating iguana and dumplings November 29, 2019
- Trinidad: Cop ordered to repay beating victim $5,000 in 48 hrs November 29, 2019
- Trinidad: Soldier arrested after sodomising child November 29, 2019
- Trinidad: She stole from her grandma 31 times November 29, 2019