Share This On:
(THE SUN-UK) — A toddler has died after plunging 150 feet from a cruise ship while being dangled out of a window by her granddad.
The 18-month-old girl slipped from his arms and fell from the 11th floor of Royal Caribbean’s Freedom of the Seas ship.
The child is believed to have fallen onto the concrete below while the ship was docked in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
The tot was rushed to hospital at around 4:30 p.m. local time yesterday.
She was pronounced dead a short time later.
According to the local Primer Hora website, the girl was from Indiana and on holiday with her parents and grandparents.
Police have now launched an investigation and are trawling CCTV of the ship as well as interviewing passengers.
The girl’s family have not yet been quizzed by detectives but police have said they believe the incident was a tragic accident.
Elmer Román, of the local Department of Public Security, said: “Police have now launched an investigation and are trawling CCTV of the ship.
“At this time (the Division of) Homicide is in place. It has not been possible to interview the family.
“It is a very strong scene, very sad and tragic.
“At one point, one of her grandparents… in an act of games, exposes the girl to the void and falls out of his hands.”
The boat has a height of around 210 feet and the 11th floor will have been around 150 feet above land level when the vessel was docked.
It holds around 4,000 passengers and was ending a seven-day Southern Caribbean cruise of Antigua, St Lucia and Barbados at the time of the tragedy.
Royal Caribbean has been contacted for comment.
- Beausejour community responds to recent criminal activities October 16, 2019 9:25 PM
- Pierre said Chastanet’s 40-month globetrotting hasn’t benefited Saint Lucians October 16, 2019 7:55 PM
- Former Saint Lucia agriculture minister bats for increasing local food production October 16, 2019 6:44 PM
- Gus Logie appointed interim West Indies women’s head coach October 16, 2019 6:04 PM
- Fully-funded British Chevening Scholarships available for Saint Lucians October 16, 2019 5:04 PM
- Roger Harper eager to lead new era of West Indies selections October 16, 2019 3:41 PM
- Food Express workers to receive wage increase, back pay, allowances: NWU October 16, 2019 3:16 PM
- Bay Gardens Resorts offers unbeatable savings for Creole Heritage Month October 16, 2019 2:51 PM
- NWU hopes to close negotiations with GNT October 16, 2019 2:03 PM