Share This On:
(CNN) – All eyes are on Hurricane Irma as it moves toward Florida, but it’s not alone.
Jose and Katia strengthened Wednesday afternoon, bringing the number of hurricanes churning in the Atlantic basin to three.
It’s the first time since 2010 that three active hurricanes have been in the Atlantic.
As of at 2 p.m. ET Thursday, Jose was out over the open Atlantic, not far from where Irma was several days ago. The Category 2 storm had maximum sustained winds of 105 mph, and is expected to strengthen into a major hurricane — Category 3 or more — on Friday, according to the National Hurricane Center.
Like Irma, Hurricane Jose is a Cape Verde hurricane, a type of storm that forms in the far eastern Atlantic, near the Cape Verde Islands (now known as Cabo Verde).
The closest land mass Jose will approach is the northern Leeward Islands, the same ones Irma just devastated. It’s not close enough to cause direct destruction but near enough to bring another potential round of wind and rain to the ravaged islands. Isolated amounts of 10 inches are possible.
A hurricane watch is in effect for Antigua and Barbuda, and a tropical storm watch is in effect for Anguilla, Montserrat, St Kitts and Nevis and Saba and St. Eustatius, according to the hurricane center.
Katia became a Category 1 hurricane in the southern Gulf of Mexico not too far from where Harvey formed two weeks ago. Unlike Harvey, which moved to the north and strengthened rapidly, Katia is expected to stick close to Mexico.
Katia was 195 miles northeast of Veracruz, Mexico, and there’s a hurricane warning in effect for Cabo Rojo to Laguna Verde.
- Beausejour community responds to recent criminal activities October 16, 2019 9:25 PM
- Pierre said Chastanet’s 40-month globetrotting hasn’t benefited Saint Lucians October 16, 2019 7:55 PM
- Former Saint Lucia agriculture minister bats for increasing local food production October 16, 2019 6:44 PM
- Gus Logie appointed interim West Indies women’s head coach October 16, 2019 6:04 PM
- Fully-funded British Chevening Scholarships available for Saint Lucians October 16, 2019 5:04 PM
- Roger Harper eager to lead new era of West Indies selections October 16, 2019 3:41 PM
- Food Express workers to receive wage increase, back pay, allowances: NWU October 16, 2019 3:16 PM
- Bay Gardens Resorts offers unbeatable savings for Creole Heritage Month October 16, 2019 2:51 PM
- NWU hopes to close negotiations with GNT October 16, 2019 2:03 PM