Share This On:
(SNO) – Stop the violence.
That’s the anguished cry of residents of Westall Group, Vieux-Fort where several persons were injured in a shooting Friday afternoon (June 29, 2018).
Two of the victims are reportedly still in hospital.
Residents believe the incident was gang related and will continue.
Hilary Ambroise, who owns a shop a few metres from where the incident occurred, was sitting on a step talking to a woman who got shot in her arm.
He said a bullet hit the step and passed close to his waist.
“I could have been killed….” he said, adding that he did not see the gunmen but he heard about 11 shots.
“From the time I heard the first shot and saw the lady running I knew she had gotten shot,” he said.
According to Ambroise, there were many people in the area at the time and they all scampered for cover when they heard the gunshots.
He said the ongoing violence in the community has hurt his business and that the most recent one has made things worse.
Another resident, Prisca Collymore, said the shooting has angered her.
“It’s time the violence stop in the area…,” Collymore said.
Residents said Friday’s shooting may have been committed by residents of Vieux-Fort, but not by those living in the immediate area. They called on the police to make regular patrols in Westall Group.
Another resident, who did not want to be identified, said when she heard the gunshots, she went outside her home and saw the gunmen fleeing the scene.
“The place has gotten very dangerous over the past few years. It’s high time this violence stop in the area,” another resident said.
The crime spree continued over the weekend in Vieux-Fort.
On Saturday a man sustained chop wounds and on Sunday another was shot in his leg.
- Two in custody in connection with Mon Repos businessman’s death November 12, 2019 11:08 AM
- Saint Lucia calls up UK-based goalkeeper Lamar Johnson November 12, 2019 10:46 AM
- Tourism ministry spearheads plan to ease traffic congestion in downtown Castries November 12, 2019 10:04 AM
- BREAKING NEWS: Mon Repos businessman succumbs to gunshot wound November 11, 2019 7:35 PM
- Former Saint Lucia top cop Vernon Francois talks about the launch of his digital books November 9, 2019 11:18 PM
- 76-year-old businessman shot in Mon Repos November 9, 2019 9:07 PM
- Gunmen attack, rob bar manager in Jetrine, Saltibus November 9, 2019 6:29 PM
- Entrepot, Sir Ira and Bocage secondary schools to remain closed on Monday November 9, 2019 5:55 PM
- Women who fought with Ciceron Secondary students speak out! November 9, 2019 5:28 PM