NewsThe Life of Riley is Over – Saint Lucia’s Former High Commissioner to London is Back Home

St. Lucia News OnlineSeptember 19, 2021983183 min

Guy Mayers, the former High Commissioner to London, returned home last weekend with his wife, his daughter-in-law, and brood of four children, two of them his grand. They all returned home, courtesy of the Saint Lucian taxpayers.

From all reports coming out of London, Guy Mayers had enjoyed four-and-a-half years of luxury and extravagance as Saint Lucia’s High Commissioner, with little to show for it. All conventions seemed to have been broken to support his newly acquired lifestyle. While the foreign service orders allow for a maximum of four dependents, he had six: his wife, his son and wife, two grandchildren, and his adopted daughter. At their exclusive disposal were three high-end vehicles, the last addition a 7-seater Mercedes Benz with TV screens costing £83,000.

During his four-and-a-half-year stint, he had changed residence no less than three times, eventually settling for a six-bedroom, with two carports in the stock-broker belt of Surrey. In the course of moving residences, the High Commission had forfeited deposits on the properties because of poor upkeep.

Saint Lucia’s High Commission is easily the most expensive overseas mission without Mayers’ extravagance, and he sure made it a very expensive overseas posting for the government and people of Saint Lucia. Interestingly, his contract ended on 26th July 2021, the day of the last general elections.

Now that he is back to his humble abode in Reduit, there are new challenges for him. He must be wishing that the Minister responsible for Invest Saint Lucia is not the one he went after in earnest to seize a vehicle, which Mayers along with his leader, Allen Chastanet, claimed belong to the High Commission. Invest Saint Lucia is the government agency responsible for leasing factory shells in the industrial estates, including the Bisee Industrial Estate. Let us hope there are no eye-popping arrears on any lease of which he or his company is the lessee.

St. Lucia News Online

9 comments

• The Crow

September 4, 2021 at 7:32 pm

That is a shame! These people’s largesse at the expense of poor taxpayers.

• Lambert Herman

September 4, 2021 at 10:40 pm

In 2017 I happened to be in the Bvi during ing the hurricane, because of the circumstances I was airlifted together with some friends to the Uk , I am a born St Lucian, my friends are from Switzerland and so I stayed with them hopefully until I could fly back home after I settled down after losing everything I owned in the hurricane, it so happened it was discovered I need emergency surgery that my insurance wouldn’t cover in Europe, on my behalf the hospital in Switzerland wrote to the St Lucia high commission In London explaining the situation and asking if they would at least help as I am a citizen of st Lucia, the commission denied my or the hospital requests for assistance, anyway thanks to the efforts of strangers and a foundation from a principality the surgery was done, no thanks to Guy Mayer

• .......

September 5, 2021 at 6:54 am

Damn Shame! Glad you got that surgery NO THANKS TO GUY MAYERS! I guess his excuse would have been there was no money.. too busy using it for their luxuries!

• JayR

September 5, 2021 at 7:53 am

Wow! While his whole family enjoyed your tax payments.

• Molly Rose

September 5, 2021 at 9:19 am

Thank God for the kindness of strangers.

• Tyron

September 5, 2021 at 7:18 am

Why it takes 5years for the public to know whats going on with thier money, I will say it again it doesn’t matter which party in power , all of them are coming in the name of the people but is to f**k the people,
    Enrichment by way of employment.
    Major crime you’ll 😴

• M. Glasgow

September 5, 2021 at 8:20 am

Well, well, well, no wonder so many important projects like healthcare, etc. etc. etc. were put on the back burner.
    If this isn’t bobol, then what is?
    St.Lucians, I get it. The overwhelming majority rejected 4 more years of bobol.

• Mad cow

September 5, 2021 at 10:15 am

What did he do for the poor while in England. Nada.
    Played big boy role huh. He couldn’t help the young st Lucian in England with a surgery.
    Shame on you man.

• henequa

September 5, 2021 at 3:29 pm

All long ropes has an end, and this is the beginning of a perfect example