(PRESS RELEASE) – United by a common purpose and the aim to inspire action and achieve tangible impacts on waste in their community, volunteers from The Landings Resort & Spa, National Conservation Authority, St Lucia National Trust, St Lucia Solid Waste Management Authority, PKF, CLICO, Sandals and other corporate groups and organizations transformed their appreciation and pride in their community into action on Saturday February 29th, 2020, at 7:00 a.m. to support a cleanup initiative.
The cleanup challenged and offered members of the community the opportunity to make a real difference by working together to address the dumping ground between the Robert Devaux Drive and The Landings Resort & Spa, a practice that is not only illegal, but also unsightly and a form of pollution; an eyesore to Saint Lucians and visitors alike.
This initiative came out of an established Landings’ Environmental Committee which is co-chaired by. Mrs. Jane Benfield and Ms Kamille Huggins , coordinators of the event who worked very closely with Ms. Jacinta Lee of the National Conservation Authority. The cleanup is part of a 5-point plan that includes:
1. Creating Awareness: through the use of local media houses and networks
2. Clean Up: Working with volunteers from the community with authorization from landowner(s). Organization of heavy equipment ie. Backhoe, Dumpster Truck, Garbage Bags, Gloves etc. Partnerships with local stakeholders
3. Clearing Up: of additional bush from the area, removal of trailers/empty containers
4. Prevention: Erecting signage, placing boulders/rocks along boundary line; Installation of cameras and lighting
5. Beautification: Plants along verges, garbage bins and benches strategically placed along roadside for pedestrians’ use
Paul Collymore General Manager of The Landings Resort & Spa, the drivers of the initiative, emphasizes that the resort continues to invest in the community through its outreach programs in an effort to maintain a clean environment, improved health, reduced pollution thus fostering a vibrant community.
Mr. Collymore sates: “We all have a right to live in a clean community. There is real power in community action, especially around the issue of waste which affects us all”.
The Landings Resort & Spa by Elegant Hotels is situated within 19 sprawling acres of tropical landscaped gardens and boasts its own private marina on a prime beachfront in St. Lucia’s exclusive Rodney Bay. The Landings consists of 85 expansive villas offering guests the choice of ocean, beachfront or private marina views with direct Caribbean Sea access.
The Resort captures the essence of St. Lucia’s storybook warmth. You feel it from the moment of your arrival – in the easy smiles of locals, the genuine greetings and the deliciously authentic cuisine. A warmer welcome simply doesn’t exist anywhere else on earth.