Share This On:
(PAHO/WHO) – The 71st World Health Assembly opened in Switzerland, with a heavy agenda and commemorating the 70 years the World Health Organization (WHO) has been in existence.
In his plenary opening speech, the Director-General of WHO, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, highlighted WHO’s new General Programme of Work for the next five years. “[This] is not about reinventing the wheel. It’s about making a bigger impact than we already make. It is ambitious, as it should be. The vision set at our founding 70 years ago is not a modest vision. Our Constitution is not a modest document,” Tedros said.
“The eradication of smallpox stands as one of the greatest achievements not only in the history of WHO, but in the history of medicine. That’s what WHO is capable of. This is an organization that changes the course of history,” the Director-General said, listing all the actions taken by the organization in every area, including emergencies, response to chronic diseases, and other issues. He stressed the importance of having an impact where it counts the most: at the country level.
In this context, Dr. Tedros called on the Member States to be proactive in assuring “health for all,” the general subject of discussion selected for this year’s World Health Assembly.
The president of Rwanda Paul Kagame was a special guest at the opening session, where he referred to his country’s achievements in the area of universal health coverage. “Achieving Universal Health Coverage is feasible for countries at every income level,” he said.
At the same ceremony, Dr. Tedros and the head of state paid homage to Carlos Urbani, a doctor who used to work for the World Health Organization, who discovered SARS and passed away from the disease in 2003 when he was treating patients.
More International News Stories
- Heartburn drug Zantac recalled over cancer-causing chemical October 19, 2019
- Woman wears all her clothes at airport to avoid excess baggage fees October 18, 2019
- US: Man, 94, killed wife in failed murder-suicide October 16, 2019
- New York cop kills himself inside his home October 16, 2019
- UK: Video shows students high-fiving after rape drunk woman October 16, 2019
- Newborn girl found buried alive in Indian cemetery October 15, 2019
- Neighbor of Atatiana Jefferson says he’s “devastated” October 15, 2019