Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE) – Ericsson (NASDAQ: ERIC) has been selected by Telefónica Chile, the largest mobile network operator and internet service provider in the country, to completely virtualize the operator’s core network.
A fully virtualized core network provides the operator with faster time-to-market of innovative new products and services that capture the opportunities presented by use cases in 5G and the Internet of Things (IoT).
Under the terms of the new deal, Ericsson will deploy its Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) solution, including virtual EPC, virtual IMS, virtual AAA and NFVi. This provides Telefónica Chile with the largest number of virtualized telco applications in a shared resource environment known as UNICA.
Nicolás Brancoli, Head of Customer Unit South Latin America, says: “As market leaders in key 5G technologies such as NFV and SDN, Ericsson is helping operators around the world to evolve their existing networks toward 5G. With this deal, we will deliver the first 5G Ready Core network in the country to Telefónica Chile, enabling the operator to cement its leadership position in the region well into the future.”
Ericsson will virtualize all telecommunications applications into a shared environment known as UNICA, with three datacenters in operation across the country. Installation, project management, network optimization, training and Managed Services are part of the agreement. Complete rollout and live service is expected during Q2, 2018.
More Technology Stories
- SlashRoots Foundation to host 3rd data-meet up in Saint Lucia October 24, 2018
- Team Saint Lucia to participate in Robot Olympics August 7, 2018
- Seven engage in prosthetic limb production training May 16, 2018
- Hold the phone! You can now use WhatsApp with a landline February 27, 2018
- ECTEL’s commitment to an open internet February 2, 2018
- Facebook booming even as time spent on it drops February 1, 2018