Share This On:
PRESS RELEASE – The Embassy of the Republic of China (Taiwan) has once again demonstrated that nation’s support for the Government and people of Saint Lucia, with a generous donation for the advancement of various national improvement initiatives.
Ambassador of the Republic of China (Taiwan) to Saint Lucia, His Excellency Mr. Ray Mou, presented two cheques to Prime Minister and Minister for Finance, Hon. Dr. Kenny D. Anthony. The cheques totalled $3,888,113.57.
An amount of $2,902,583.35 was presented for works towards completion of the Gros Islet Human Resource Development Centre. The proposed Gros Islet HRDC is a two-level structure, which will incorporate an auditorium, conference facilities, a concession area, office space, and a restaurant facility with on-street access.
Prime Minister Anthony welcomed the gesture of support from the Republic of China (Taiwan), noting that the arrival of this performance, conference and meeting space can be transformative for the people of Gros Islet town, suggesting that correct use of the complex can have a profound effect on the culture of the community.
Said Dr. Anthony,
“I expect that it will also add value to the tourism product of the town as it would mean that the town can now infuse the arts more into its vibrant nightlife. It will now have a theatrical space for performances and shows. And so, I urge you to collaborate with agencies like the Cultural Development Foundation to make this a reality.
“Furthermore, it also means that there will be space available in Gros Islet for training of the arts: a place where our young people can practice and rehearse for performances of song, dance and theatre.”
Additionally, an amount of $985,530.22 was presented towards the ongoing completion works for the Vigie Beach Vending Facility. Managed by the National Conservation Authority, the new home for vendors along Vigie beach is expected to be ready for occupancy within the next two to three months. The project was started in July 2014.
More Development Stories
- Government to formally launch the Medium Term Development Strategy February 19, 2020
- 1st phase of Market Redevelopment Project almost ready February 18, 2020
- National Infrastructural Systems Model to improve development February 12, 2020
- NISMOD – The future of evidence based infrastructural planning February 10, 2020
- Chamber of Commerce hosts forum on Castries redevelopment January 28, 2020
- Road work underway along east coast road January 22, 2020
- Micoud South drainage contracts signed to alleviate flooding January 20, 2020
- Canelles Resort Project begins January 17, 2020