Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE VIA SNO) – Taiwan Embassy hosted a function on June 26 to pledge continued support to the Soufriere Hummingbird Beach Park Project.
Ambassador Douglas Shen presented a check for the project’s second phase funding to Hon. Herod Stanislaus, Minister in the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries, Physical Planning, Natural Resources and Co-operatives. Also in attendance were Mr. Nigel George, Chairman of Soufriere Foundation representatives from the government and media.
Ambassador Shen stated that Soufriere is the most popular scenic hotspot in Saint Lucia, with thousands of tourists visiting the town every year; the Embassy is aware of the need to rehabilitate Hummingbird Beach for the sustainable development of the local tourism industry, and therefore, agreed to provide the necessary support. The first batch of funding was allocated in 2016.
Minister Stanislaus thanked Taiwan for the generous assistance it has extended to Soufriere over the years. He believed that with the completion of the Hummingbird Beach Project and the Soufriere Square Project, both supported by Taiwan, the town will attract even more visitors from abroad and provide work opportunities to the local people. He expressed desire to further cooperate with Taiwan Embassy with a view to strengthen bilateral ties between the two countries.
Minister Stanislaus also extended an invitation to Ambassador Shen to attend the Hummingbird Beach facility’s inauguration later in August 2018 when the project is scheduled to be completed. Ambassador Shen readily accepted the offer and promised to visit Soufriere and tour the site.
- Two in custody in connection with Mon Repos businessman’s death November 12, 2019 11:08 AM
- Saint Lucia calls up UK-based goalkeeper Lamar Johnson November 12, 2019 10:46 AM
- Tourism ministry spearheads plan to ease traffic congestion in downtown Castries November 12, 2019 10:04 AM
- BREAKING NEWS: Mon Repos businessman succumbs to gunshot wound November 11, 2019 7:35 PM
- Former Saint Lucia top cop Vernon Francois talks about the launch of his digital books November 9, 2019 11:18 PM
- 76-year-old businessman shot in Mon Repos November 9, 2019 9:07 PM
- Gunmen attack, rob bar manager in Jetrine, Saltibus November 9, 2019 6:29 PM
- Entrepot, Sir Ira and Bocage secondary schools to remain closed on Monday November 9, 2019 5:55 PM
- Women who fought with Ciceron Secondary students speak out! November 9, 2019 5:28 PM