Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE VIA SNO) – Taiwanese ambassador H. E. Douglas Shen and Hon. Ezechiel Joseph, Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries, Physical Planning, Natural Resources and Co-operatives, signed a new action plan on bilateral agriculture cooperation – “Banana Productivity Improvement Project” on 23rd February, 2018 for their respective governments.
During the signing ceremony, Ambassador Douglas Shen noted that Taiwan and Saint Lucia had cooperated on the Banana Black Sigatoka Management Project (BSMP) in the past five years, and successfully doubled the export of Saint Lucian bananas. Realizing that the banana industry plays an important role in the economy of Saint Lucia, the two governments have decided to continue their cooperation. He firmly believed that through this joint effort, the capability and confidence of the local banana industry will be greatly improved, and the high-quality produce will once again bring fruitful business to farmers in Saint Lucia.
Hon. Ezechiel Joseph expressed gratitude to the government of Taiwan for its contribution in assisting the development of agriculture in Saint Lucia and confirmed that the banana production had returned to the pre-Mathew level before 2016. He also emphasized that the Ministry look forward to continue cooperate with the government of Taiwan to further increase the productivity and quality of the local bananas.
The new project will be executed over a four-year period. During the first year, the major focus shall be on restoring the industry to pre-Matthew condition and increasing productivity on the existing acreages. Thereafter attention will be placed on expanding current acreages, building resilience to climate change, establishing sustainable financing mechanism, building capacity and strengthen in diseases control measures.
- Coronavirus: World should prepare for pandemic, says WHO February 24, 2020 3:34 PM
- Community consultation to mark commencement of Fond Mange` Road Reconstruction Project February 24, 2020 1:27 PM
- Fuel price adjustments February 24, 2020 8:59 AM
- Prime Minister takes aim at US, UK financial regulations February 21, 2020 1:42 PM
- Family of Benignus Henry issue a plea for support February 21, 2020 12:30 PM
- PM Chastanet welcomes positive comments on CIP’s impact on economic performance of St Lucia and OECS February 21, 2020 9:22 AM
- Water safety during periods of water shortage February 20, 2020 3:34 PM
- 13-year-old reported missing; elderly citizen found February 20, 2020 10:54 AM
- Residents in the north of the island to experience further delays in accessing the water supply February 20, 2020 9:25 AM