Share This On:
(SNO) — The daughter of a fisherman, who is suspected of drowning recently, has told St. Lucia News Online that she was planning to start the process of bringing her parents to Canada, this year.
Phyllis Eugene, 27, who lives in Brampton, Canada, told St. Lucia News Online (SNO) on Tuesday (Jan. 15) that she last saw her father, Bartholomew ‘Bethel’ Pamphile, years ago.
“I haven’t seen him since I left Saint Lucia, that’s seven years ago, but we speak all the time. We spoke for Christmas, New Year’s,” said Eugene, who is her father’s eldest of four daughters.
“He called me just a few days ago, as well asking me to send him some Cuban cigars. This year I was gonna be sponsoring him and my mom to come up to Canada,” she added.
According to reports, Pamphile went diving around 4 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 13 but never resurfaced. Following hours of search, his lifeless body was discovered lying face-down, ashore, near Cap Maison beach, Gros Islet.
Eugene said her father went “diving for fish” but she is not sure what happened or what went wrong.
“He has been doing that (spear fishing) for a really long time, so something must have went wrong under there,” she said.
“My cousin in Canada called me on Sunday night, said my dad went diving and hasn’t returned since. I was in total shock,” Eugene recalled. “I asked her what you mean by he hasn’t returned. Did something go wrong? Because I know he’s been doing this a really long time. I was still praying and hoping for the best. Yesterday while I was at school writing my exams I got the news that they had found the body.”
Asked if her father normally used safety gear during his fishing and diving expeditions, his daughter replied: “That I’m not sure.”
Pamphile, who resided in Monchy, Gros Islet where he is originally from, was a vendor by Sandals Grande Resort or around Pigeon Point beach. He sold to tourists, entertained them and took them on tours, among other things, his daughter told SNO.
Pamphile was in his early 50s.
- Saint Lucia negotiates and signs new Bilateral Air Services Agreement December 12, 2019 3:06 PM
- Horse racing event a fraud on the people of St Lucia – SLP December 12, 2019 2:17 PM
- RBC announces sale of Eastern Caribbean banking operations December 12, 2019 9:58 AM
- SSDF signs agreement for Vieux Sucieux Water Supply Expansion Sub- Project December 12, 2019 9:51 AM
- Ministry of Equity implements new initiative to boost CASP ‘Host a Centre Day 2019’ December 12, 2019 9:21 AM
- Forbes features St. Lucian CEO of biotech company on its 30 Under 30 2020 list December 11, 2019 11:37 AM
- Police investigate hanging death of prisoner December 10, 2019 11:14 AM
- Julien Alfred wins big at FastTrack Collegiate Opener December 10, 2019 10:44 AM