Share This On:
(PRESS RELEASE) – Minister for Home Affairs, Justice and National Security Senator the Honourable Hermingild Francis says there are some areas where the law is being disobeyed with impunity and the Government has his full support in ensuring stiffer penalties are put in place in the course of this year.
Minister Francis says many recommendations have been identified and the Attorney General’s Chambers has been working assiduously to frame the relevant bills. He says those new or reinforced laws will be pivotal to building a more equitable, just and law abiding country.
Appearing as a guest on Police Insight Monday night on MBC cable channel alongside the Deputy Commissioner of Police Milton Desir, the Minister made mention of an intention to have the Domestic Violence Act amended to allow a third party to report domestic altercations to the Police for action.
He also made reference to the Child Justice Bill and the Child Care, Protection and Adoption Bill which are down to come before Parliament. Meanwhile, a review of the Affiliation Act commonly referred to as the (Child Maintenance
Order) would allow for a ‘means test’ to be used to determine how much parents are able to pay for child support. Currently payments to mothers or custodians amount to $50.00 per week or $200.00 per month.
The Counter-Tracking Act of 2013 , the Firearms Act and the introduction or reinforcement of laws that will speak to the use of breathalyzers, radar guns and non-lethal weapons among other areas are also being addressed.
Minister Francis indicated that a lot more initiatives where law enforcement is concerned will be outlined when the 2018/2019 national budget is presented in April. He thanked the public who took the opportunity to call the show and make several worthwhile comments on improving the state of law enforcement in Saint Lucia.
- Prime Minister takes aim at US, UK financial regulations February 21, 2020 1:42 PM
- Family of Benignus Henry issue a plea for support February 21, 2020 12:30 PM
- PM Chastanet welcomes positive comments on CIP’s impact on economic performance of St Lucia and OECS February 21, 2020 9:22 AM
- Water safety during periods of water shortage February 20, 2020 3:34 PM
- 13-year-old reported missing; elderly citizen found February 20, 2020 10:54 AM
- Residents in the north of the island to experience further delays in accessing the water supply February 20, 2020 9:25 AM
- Taiwan Technical Mission assists banana farmers to secure regional markets February 20, 2020 9:06 AM
- St Lucia captures numerous accolades at 6th Annual Travvy Awards February 19, 2020 8:45 AM
- Department of Health and Wellness coronavirus review meeting February 18, 2020 2:55 PM